Doctor / Hospital
If you have to visit a doctor during your stay in Germany, you can look for a list in the local phone directory. Another overview is provided here.
If you stay for a longer period in Aachen we recommend you choose your general practitioner, dentist and gynaecologist (for females).
There are several hospitals in Aachen which you can contact in case of emergency:
Phone +49 241 414 0
Phone: +49 241 6006 0
Alexianer Krankenhaus (Psychiatric emergency hospital)
Phone: +49 241 477010
Phone +49 241 7501-0
Phone +49 241 800
If you see a doctor or visit a hospital, the following questions could be asked during the diagnostic interview:
- When did you first notice any symptoms of the disease?
- What kind of treatment have you received previously? Have there been any complications / problems?
- Do you have any other health problems or disabilities?
- Have you any known allergies? Is your body very sensitive to any substances?
- Pls. describe the symptoms you have in detail(s)
- When did you notice these symptoms?
- Do you take any medicine? Effectes? Side effects?
You should always keep your ID and your insurance booklet, your foreign health insurance card or your foreign health insurance certificate ready, Also the policy certificate of your insurance company (internal link „Versicherungen“) might be requested.
It differs from case to case If you have to pay in cash, ask for a receipt, or the practice or hospital may contact your insurance company directly. Be aware that you have to pay for the treatment from your own pocket first and be reimbursed from your insurance company later.
If you go to see a specialised doctor for treatment or medical check up and you are insured at a German health insurance company you have to pay an additional contribution of 10 EUR each quarter. .
To avoid having to pay expensive medical bills, ensure that you have health insurance cover in advance.
At the end of a check-up /treatment session pls. ask the following questions:
- Which disease do I suffer from? How will it develop?
- Do I have to take any medicine?
- What about possible side effects?
- Are other treatments / check ups required?
- Am I allowed to do sports?
- Make a note of the name and address of the doctor who gave you the treatment.
Very important phone numbers:
Emergency services (in Germany)
Emergency Doctor 0180/5044100
Counselling centres (Germany)
Crisis line 0800 111 0 111